The Vine and Wine Museum – Miniș

 

The Vine and Wine Museum is located inside Ghioroc’s Viticulture Research Station and is a branch of the city of Arad’s Museum Complex. The institution was established in 1988 and includes exhibits that recreate the universe of viticulture and winemaking in the Miniș-Măderat vineyard, presenting its history. The Miniș-Măderat vineyard is one of the oldest viticulture areas of the country, with a glorious past.

The museum exhibition presents tools, equipment, documents and photographs of the vineyards and can be visited on request.

Minis Vineyard and Wine Museum is one of the most important sights in Banat.

The first documentation concerning the vineyards dates from the 11th century. The cultivated area increased permanently. Thus, if the Ottoman Empire, in 1562 recorded 700 hectares under vines, in 1746, half a century after the establishment of the Habsburg domination, there were more than 2,000 hectares of vineyard, and the area tripled in the twentieth century.

The Research Station’s current collection contains over 50,000 bottles of wine of different ages from Riesling, Fetească, Red Burgundy, Cabernet and Merlot. The stars of the collection are a few bottles of “Italian Riesling” from 1926. On the bottles sealed with wax, a royal seal is encrusted, which certifies the value and age of the wine. In the wine cellars of Romania, no other pre-war bottle can confirm that the wine has greater seniority.

Historical landmarks:

The first data on the vineyards of Miniș is from the 11th century

 In the late thirteenth century, numerous wine-growing settlements were known in the Plains of Arad, such as: Mocrea (1199), Galșa and Măderat (1202), Agriș (1214), Lipovița, Şoimoş and Miniș (1215). A number of other settlements were mentioned in subsequent periods: Pâncota (1302), Mâsca (1331), Covăsânț (1332-1337), Cladova, Ghioroc, Păuliș (1333).

In 1636, Prince George Rakoczi requests that a cross-shaped cellar is dug in the rocks, at Mocrea, with a capacity of 7,000 hl.

In 1749, Count Grassalkovich arranges a cellar in Miniș.

Ever since 1744 sweet Cadarca wine is produced in the Miniș-Covăsânț area. The most important recognition its quality dates from 1862, when, during the International Exhibition in London, a sweet red wine of Miniș was called “the king of wines”. In 1881, the castle became Grossalkovich Viticulture School, the first school of viticulture in the present territory of Romania.

 Hours: Wednesday-Sunday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., visits on request – tel. 0257.281.847

Location: No. 31 Main Street, Ghioroc village, Miniș, Arad County (DJ708B)

Additional information: E-mail: office@museumarad.ro