Cycling through the Arad vineyards

In a splendid vineyard on the great hill of Măderat, village belonging to the town of Pâncota in Arad County, there are two of the oldest trees in the country. The citizens of Pâncota often rested beneath their shade, marvelle at their greatness. Now they no longer pay special attention. Everyone knows, however, that the trees were planted by a rich German. And that there were three trees, but one was thunderstruck and caught fire… Between 1820 and 1855, master of Pâncota and its surroundings was Baron Dietrich Jozsef. He systematized the town, by making the streets straight and wide. He drained the surrounding marshes and laid the foundations of modern viticulture in the region. Baron Dietrich’s vineyards were the most famous in the hills area located on the western edge of Zarand Mountains, between the rivers Mures and  Crisul Alb. Merchants from all over the country came to buy grapes and wine at the renowned  Pâncota fair. Over 160 years ago, the Baron traveled to America, where he was impressed by the size and stature of redwood trees. He brought back three tree seedlings, which he planted in Pâncota by 1845. “They are a rarity in Romania. They have adapted well … they belong to the conifersț family, green all year round. Until recently it was a teacher who cared for them. People know that they were brought and planted by the German owner of the vineyards, a great baron. A man who knew how to administer very good business ” Ioan Grada, agricultural agent at Pâncota City Hall, says. Dietrich’s trees buried a few empires, survived world wars and communism. And  given the fact that they are only “puppies” in the great family of millennial trees. The Baron planted them with love, and thus the Sequoia from Măderat survives until today. Several years ago, one was thunderstruck during a storm. For eternity, there remain only two…

Article source: https://plus.google.com/106467417709371482769