The Catholic Church of Pâncota is the oldest church in town, but it is also one of the best preserved churches in Banat.
The Catholic Church was built between 1806 and 1807. In Bishop Iosif Leonovich’s protocol documents an organ with five registers is mentioned. The present day organ was probably built shortly before World War II either by the Wegenstein Company or by Franz Kecskés from Timisoara. It has 2 manuals, a pedal and a pneumatic tract.
The church was renovated due to teamwork and has been brought to an almost perfect condition.
Roman Catholic Church
In 1787 the local Catholic reform took place. In 1806-1807 the high chamberlain erected the church. There has been an independent parish in Pâncota since 1807. In 1807 it was consecrated in honor of the Dormition. The Catholic Church is the oldest church in Pâncota. Construction of the church began in 1806 with the Kings Chamber and was completed in 1907. The consecration of the church was committed by Bishop Ianos Suttli on the 29th of October, 1907. It is a Romanesque building. The church has a length of 31 m, a width of 11 m, a height of 10 m. The church tower is 31 m high. According to Historia Domus, the church tower was destroyed by fire in 1822 and rebuilt in its original form in 1906. The paintings on the walls were done in 1930 by Arad county artist Istvan Soos. A rehabilitation of the exterior walls of the church was made in 1996 with the support of HOG Pâncota. The rehabilitation of the church’s interior was possible in 1999, with the support of Renovabis and the Catholic community in Pâncota. In the last 2 years, the church has been equipped with central heating and a new roof. A renovation of the frescoes is necessary, however, the church is considered one of the better preserved Catholic Churches not only in Arad, but the whole Banat.
In 1782, a trivial Catholic school is mentioned.
Proof of a 2nd-3rd century Dacian settlement was found on the city grounds. The name “Villa Pankot” was mentioned for the first time in 1202/1203, however its link to modern day Pâncota remains uncertain. According to Sandor Marki in 1216 there was a Benedictine abbey on Pâncota’s territory; the settlement probably formed itself around the abbey. Pâncota belonged to the then Kingdom of Hungary.
Location: Tudor Vladimirescu Street, No. 72, Pîncota city, Arad county.