Up until the 17th century, there is no data concerning the religious status of the inhabitants of Pâncota.
During the first half of the 17th century, a copy of “Tâlcul Evangheliilor și Molitvelnicul românesc”, printed by Coresi, was in the possession of priest Ioan from Pâncota. It can be said that if there was a priest, there must have been a church as well, replaced with a wooden one at the beginning of the 18th century, consecrated in 1728.
The construction of a stone establishment was approved in 1765, on the expense of the people. Due to financial reasons, the work could not be done at that time. Though, by 1812, the church bearing the names of Ss. Peter and Paul was erected, made out of stone and brick, consecrated by archpriest Gh. Chirilovici of Șiria.
In 1843, the church iconostasis and 50 icons were placed on the walls were painted by Gh. Barabaş Zlătar in Timișoara, as stated in the inscription of the Holy Shrine.
There is no known date of installation of the bells, but there is proof that during the First World War, they were taken by Austro-Hungarian army.
The church was repaired in 1925 at the expense of Palcu Lazarus, the value amounting to one million lei. The flat ceiling was replaced with vaulted ceiling, the roof was changed, a large bell (300 kg) was installed and the vault was painted by the painter Charles Wolf, a native of Pâncota, in realism style.
The consecration of the church was done on the 13th of September 1925 by PS Bishop Dr. Grigore Gh. Comșa, bishop of Arad.
The side walls were painted in Byzantine style in 1951 by brothers Peter and Gh. Lişteveanu from Craiova. The consecration of the church was done on December 2nd, 1951 by priest dr. Gheorghe Lițiu, parish priests being Gh. Păiuşan and Tiberiu Iercoşan.
The restoration of the painting was done in 1986 at the expense of the people, by painter Anna Cican.
Location: Avram Iancu Street No. 49, Pâncota city, Arad county.