The “Under the booths” Bazaar, also known as the Turkish bazaar in Lipova, is one of a kind in Romania. Built by the Turks four centuries ago, the bazaar’s purpose was a commercial one.
In medieval times, Lipova was a thriving city, more developed than Arad, and merchants from throughout the Ottoman Empire passed through Lipova, where they tried to sell their products. Today, the Turkish bazaar in the city is home to a number of small businesses.
Being situated on the Mures River, in the northern part of Banat, Lipova was disputed by the Habsburgs and Ottomans. Between 1552 – 1595 and 1613 – 1718, it was ruled by the Turks (with interruptions). Following the signing of the Peace Treaty of Passarowitz in 1718, the city permanently returned in the hands of the Habsburgs. However Lipova is one of the few places ruled by Turks who have preserved traces of their life here, the Turkish Bazaar being representative in this respect.
The façade includes eight cylindrical pillars linked together by arches that guard a large commercial passage. In the centre, the building is dominated by a triangular frontispiece.